Policy & Campaigns
Timber NSW Policy Priorities
With its state and federal counterparts, Timber NSW seeks:
1. Plan for a renewable future: recognition of the environmental and socio-economic value of a vibrant timber and forest products industry.
2. Carbon economy: a better regulatory environment and program of direct action to recognise carbon sequestration in multiple use production forests and wood products through payments for carbon storage.
3. Renewable energy: policy settings which support a market for the use of biomass as a source of renewable energy, alongside wind and solar energy.
4. Tenure-neutral: legislative reform to create a single public land management agency in New South Wales, focused on overarching management of our public native forests.
5. Building resource security: capital investment in forestry infrastructure, new softwood plantations and fewer restrictions on access to regrowth forests to ensure sustainable timber supply.
6. Investment environment: facilitation of investment comparable to other countries via reducing sovereign risk, transparent planning and investment incentives.
7. Infrastructure & R&D: better infrastructure, skills promotion and increased funding of R&D in sustainable forest industries.
In addition to the above broad policy priorities, Timber NSW is actively advocating on the following specific issues:
- CVC TIMBER NSW SUBMISSION FINAL 26 AUGUST 2023
Annexures to above:
- North Coast Industry Profile Data – Aug 2023 TNSW
- NSW Hardwood Timber Industry – Economic Contribution Study – Final -14 Feb 2023
- Review of GKNP Economic Impact and Environmental Benefit Assessment – April 2023
- Timber NSW Submission to Royal Commision into Natural Disaster Arrangements – April 2020
- Timber NSW Submission to Department of Planning Industry and Environment re Koala Habitat Protection Guideline – April 2020
- Timber NSW submission on Coastal IFOA monitoring – November 2019
- Submission to NRC Draft Forest Monitoring Strategy
- TNSW Submission to Local Land Services – Review of Private Native Forestry Codes of Practice (Northern NSW, Southern NSW, River Red Gum Forests, and Cypress and Western Hardwood Forests)
- TNSW Submission to EPA – IFOA Remake – July 2018
- TNSW Submission to Port Macquarie-Hastings Council – Draft Koala Planning Documents
- TNSW Submission to EPA – Draft Native Forest Bill – September 2017
- TNSW Submission to OE&H – Regulatory Provisions of NVR Map
- TNSW Submission to OE&H – Native Plants and Animals
- TNSW Submission to OE&H – Private Land Conservation under Land Management & Biodiversity Conservation Regulations
- TNSW Submission to OE&H – Ecologically Sustainable Development under Land Management & Biodiversity Conservation Regulations
- TNSW Submission to DP&E – Review of SEPP 44 Koala Habitat Protection
- TNSW Submission to DP&E – Draft Hunter Regional Plan 2016
- TNSW Submission to DPC – Review of the NRC Act 2016
- TNSW Submission to Ballina Shire Council – Draft Koala Plan of Mgt 2016
- FPA Submission to Bio Review Panel – Biodiversity Legislation Review 2014
- FPA Submission to DPI – New Biosecurity Act 2014
- FPA Submission to EPA – Coastal IFOA Remake 2014
- FPA Submission to NRC – Brigalow & Nandewar Cypress Review 2014
- FPA Submission to OEH – Biodiversity Offsets Fund 2014
- FPA Submission to OEH – Thinning Native Vegetation Code 2014